Managing our impact on the environment in a responsible and ethical manner
We know that our work has an impact on the environment and that we have a duty to manage that impact in a responsible and ethical manner. We do this through identifying all significant environmental impacts and putting processes into place to prevent, reduce and mitigate them. To meet our commitment of protecting the environment, we aim to:
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation;
- Operate our business in a way that protects the environment;
- Promote environmental awareness to colleagues and enlist their support in improving the Company’s performance with training and instruction;
- Minimise waste by making sure processes are as efficient as possible;
- Look to reduce energy and water usage;
- Promote recycling internally and with our suppliers and customers;
- Minimise the environmental impact of our logistics activities; and
- Continually develop our environmental management system.
Additionally, we already ensure that our suppliers give preference to the use of recycled materials in the manufacturing and packaging of our goods and to help achieve this we have a clause in our standard terms of business with the suppliers who provide the goods that are sold in our stores which requires them to: i) use reasonable endeavours to minimise the packaging use; and ii) conduct an annual review of their packaging to make sure they are using recycled or recyclable materials wherever possible.